It’s been beautiful summer weather here, but we have had a major cold front sweep through here the last couple of days, and it definitely makes me in the mood for this white chicken chili. I took a classic recipe and made it with MUCH less fat than normal. I replaced all the sour cream with a 0% fat Greek plain yogurt. You will not believe it because you can’t even taste the difference. Greek yogurt is a great replacement for sour cream and there is not a lot of flavor difference, even on your baked potatoes 🙂 Give it a try!
White Chicken Chili
- 1-2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 3 cans of Great Northern beans or any white bean (add liquid from can too)
- 4-6 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded or diced small
- 2 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 7 oz. can diced green chili’s (you can add more if you like them a lot)
- 1 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 t. sea salt
- 3 c. Greek yogurt, plain
- Toppings (optional): Avocado, tortilla chips, cheese)
- Heat up a stock pot over medium high heat, add olive oil & onion. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes or until onions are becoming clear.
- Reduce heat to medium and add minced garlic. Sauté for another minute.
- Then add all the rest of the ingredients except the Greek yogurt. Stir well until all the ingredients are mixed in.
- Cook on low for 30 minutes or so to let the flavors meld together. During the last 5 minutes, turn off heat and stir in the Greek yogurt. It will curdle if the soup is too hot!
This is a soup you can do in the crockpot if you would like. Just throw in all the ingredients in the order listed and let it cook on low for at least 4 hours. (Add the greek yogurt and mix well before serving)
I like to add a little bit of crushed tortilla chips on top for some crunch, but that’s definitely optional and it’s healthier without it. I just love a good crunch!