Fall is here and soup season is upon us and this Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect way to get rid of all the extra vegetables in your refrigerator!! My kids love this one with the pearled barley in it, which is a bonus for added substance! Your spouse won’t be complaining that this soup is not filling enough!!!
Vegetable Beef Soup
Fall is here and soup season is upon us and this Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect way to get rid of all the extra vegetables in your refrigerator!! Soup is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies for your family, and don’t feel like you need to stick to what is in the recipe. If you feel like frozen corn, substitute the same amount of corn to replace something else. It’s a great soup to be catered to your family’s preferences and tastes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minute
- Yield: 10-12
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb. organic ground beef (preferably grass fed)
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 6 lg. carrots or 20 baby carrots, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1 ½ c. frozen corn
- 12 c. beef broth
- 1 ½ c. pearled barley, uncooked
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- ½ t. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Saute onion in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes on med high heat.
- Add ground beef and cook until done.
- Add celery, carrots, & the bell pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add frozen corn and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil. When boiling, add pearled barley and bring to boil again. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and cover pot to cook barley (20-30 minutes).
- Once barley seems to be tender, add the can of roasted tomatoes, garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste.
- This makes a lot of soup, but it freezes well. Eat it for dinner, save some for leftovers, and freeze the rest! Or better yet, share with a neighbor on a cold, rainy day!!
- This is a great meal for a bread day! Delicious 12 grain bread with homemade soup!! It doesn’t get better than that!
If you love barley in your soup as much as we do, or just want to try something other than rice in your soup, go check out our Tomato Artichoke Soup with Barley. It is so creamy, comforting, and filling..perfect for these cold days ahead of us!