Is there anything more comforting than coming home to a bowl of our Sweet Potato Turkey Chili on crisp evenings in the Fall or bitter Winter nights? It will warm your insides and bring peace and comfort to your soul! If you are in need of some encouragement or a boost of comfort…this Sweet Potato Turkey Chili is your taxi ride to get there!!!
There is nothing like eating a piping hot bowl of comfort, but that is exactly what you can do when you dive into a bowl of this Sweet Potato Chili. There are so many delicious chili recipes out there, but many of them can be so unhealthy and full of extra fat and calories. Our Sweet Potato Chili ups the nutrition ante by adding quinoa, which is a complete protein in itself, and mixing it ground lean turkey breast, and fiber-filled black beans. So you know you are getting a good source of heart healthy protein and bulk-filling fiber….a winning combination in itself.
Then we start talking about all the benefits of pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes! They are nutritional powerhouses full of vitamins, fiber, anti-cancer properties, potassium, and a host of other nutrients and antioxidants. You will definitely feel good feeding this to your family and friends!Print
Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 240 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 people
- Category: Dinner
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1/4 c. dry quinoa
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2inch cubes*
- 1 16 ounce can tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can beef or chicken broth
- 8 ounce can pumpkin puree (make sure you’re not using pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and add onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapenos. Saute for about 5 minutes,until veggies are tender and fragrant.
- In same skillet, add turkey and cook until done. Put into crock pot if you’re going to let it cook slowly or keep in pot and add the rest of the ingredients if you’re going to cook it on the stovetop.
- Sprinkle in cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon & cocoa powder.
- Add dry quinoa, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, broth, and pumpkin, to slow cooker and stir until combined.
- Place lid on crockpot and cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 on low. Slow-cookers vary greatly in temperature and cooking times, but +really, the important thing to note is if the sweet potatoes are tender. If you want to cook it on the stovetop, just put it on low and cook for approximately 1 hour.
- When done, turn off heat and let chili sit with lid off for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Season with additional salt to taste before serving. If desired, serve with additional toppings.
Optional toppings: Sour cream (I like plain Greek Yogurt), sliced avocado, chopped cilantro or green onion, shredded cheese and fresh lime juice. If you like some crunch on top, add tortilla chips. Or one of my personal favorites is cornbread on top!!