This Grilled Lime Chicken with Mango Salsa & Coconut Rice can be used for a summer BBQ or a lighter winter dish. It’s very versatile and the flavors from the mango salsa with the lime chicken are super delicious! I always love coconut rice as a side dish and I think you’ll agree that it compliments the flavors very well. I love putting the mango salsa on top of the brown rice too. This is a light dish, but very filling as well. I think your family will love it!
(this recipe may be used as a freezer meal)
To watch a demo of this recipe, visit: http://studio5.ksl.com/?nid=126&sid=34819481Print
Grilled Lime Chicken with Mango Salsa & Coconut Rice
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 people
- Category: Dinner
Chicken and Marinade/Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or liquid coconut oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, light or regular
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 ½- 2 lbs. chicken tenderloins or breasts, fileted in half
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh limes, cut into wedges
Brown Coconut Rice:
(You can freeze the rice after it’s cooked but it’s better fresh)
- 1 c. brown rice
- 1 can coconut milk, light or regular
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2-3 mangos, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbls. thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. vinegar (white or Bragg’s apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional-only use if your fruit isn’t very sweet)
- In a large liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, coriander, soy sauce, salt, sugar, curry powder, coconut milk, and cayenne pepper. Place the chicken in a large ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours. You can freeze the marinade in the bag if you would like and then let thaw when ready to use.
- For the coconut rice, bring the rice, coconut milk, water, sugar and salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving. If using white rice, it only takes about 20 minutes to cook.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill (see note above if not grilling) to medium-high heat. Thaw chicken before grilling, if frozen. Grill the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side (actual time will depend on the thickness of the chicken). While the chicken is cooking, pour the marinade into a small or medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make the mango salsa, chop all the ingredients & toss together.
- Place the grilled chicken on a serving platter or plate. Drizzle with sauce, if desired (reserve the remaining sauce to serve separately) and sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top. Serve with lime wedges and additional sauce or with fresh mango salsa.
This meal can be used as a freezer meal!