Greek Yogurt & Granola is the perfect snack or a great way to start your day for breakfast! It is chalk full of protein from the creamy Greek Yogurt and full of fiber from those sweet berries and delicious granola. This will definitely help those afternoon slumps and sugar cravings! Our kids all love this and so do we! 🙂
Greek yogurt is so good for us and here are a few reasons why:
“Greek yogurt promotes intestinal and vaginal health, improves lactose intolerance, builds stronger bones, enhances immunity, lowers blood pressure, and may even have anticancer and weight-loss effects. In a recent study in the International Journal of Obesity, researchers found that obese adults who ate three servings of fat-free yogurt a day as part of a reduced-calorie diet lost 22% more weight and 61% more body fat than those who just cut calories. A plus for Greek yogurt, in particular, is that it doesn’t give you the sugar overload of what you usually find in U.S. grocery stores. To save on fat and calories, reach for a low-fat version.” Health.com You can find Greek yogurt at most stores now. It has twice the protein and excellent cultures for our intestinal health.
Top it with a granola (my kids love the Three Berry Granola from Trader Joe’s or try our Cinnamon Coconut Granola– it’s divine & easy to make!!). You can use whatever your family likes. Just check the labels to make sure it’s not loaded with any high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. You are safe if you buy it at a health food store. Then top it with fresh or freeze-dried fruit. That’s what makes it extra sweet and delicious. Greek yogurt is not as sweet as regular yogurt, so your kids will eat it if you put these sweet things on top!!
You can also top the plain kind with honey and walnuts for an extra healthy version!
Extra Health benefits of Greek yogurt:
- A great substitute for milk for people suffering from lactose intolerance. The process of culturing in which fermentation takes place to produce yogurt also produces the lactase enzyme which is otherwise lacking in lactose intolerant people.
- The absorption of calcium and B complex vitamins and itself contains vitamins B2, B12, potassium, calcium and magnesium. B complex vitamins play an important role in energy metabolism and strengthening of the immune system while calcium is an important component in bone and teeth formation and maintenance.
- Prevention of diarrhea resulting from antibiotics use by providing and promoting the growth of good bacteria within the digestive system while destroying pathogenic ones.
- Candida and thrush infections of the vagina and mouth can be cleared by using yogurt internally and topically. The infection causing yeast is destroyed by the good bacteria in yogurt. Sweetened varieties, sugary foods and complex carbohydrates should be avoided to starve the sugar loving yeasts.
- Colon cancer risk reduction as the lacto bacteria in yogurt cleans and destroys dangerous carcinogenic wastes within the colon.
- Good for diabetics because of its low sugar, carbohydrates and salt content.
- These are only some of the known benefits of Greek yogurt, a gift bequeathed to the world by the hands of the Greek. –OrganicRenaissance.com