This Coconut Brown Rice Pudding is the perfect dessert for those cold nights when you need a little sweet treat! It is a little twist on the original rice pudding. As usual, we have taken a recipe we loved and have transitioned it into a little healthier version. That’s what we love to do at Foodie Gone Healthy. We love to still have our treats but when we make some simple substitutions, it makes us feel much better!!
For our healthy substitutes, we have used a healthy whole grain brown rice instead of white rice. Milk and cream substituted with a coconut milk and coconut cream. The flavors are much deeper and the coconut is always a welcome flavor in our house. The mango will give you a taste of the tropics if you choose to top it with them. You can always use the traditional raisins or Craisins. They’re all delicious!
I hope you have a pressure cooker because this recipe uses one! If you don’t have one, check them out on Amazon. Here is a link if you need a suggestion for one we love: http://amzn.to/2i7MF7Y If you are interested in the popular InstaPot, here is one for that as well: http://amzn.to/2i7h869
I love my pressure cooker, especially when it comes to cooking whole grains. I think you’ll love it too. You can turn it on and forget about it. No pots to watch, no heat to turn down, no messy spill overs, and you save time too!
When you get a pressure cooker, you should try our bean recipe that goes with our Rice & Black Bean Bowls for dinner one night. Beans cook SO fast in the pressure cooker!
Coconut Brown Rice Pudding
This coconut brown rice pudding is the perfect comfort food dessert for those cold winter nights. It’s a twist on the classic with lots of healthier options! Your body will thank you for the better substitutes!!
• 1 c. short grain brown rice
• 3 c. coconut milk (refrigerated or canned)
• 1 c. coconut cream or coconut milk
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• ½ tsp. cinnamon
• ¼ c. organic coconut palm sugar or organic cane sugar
• pinch salt
• 2 eggs (optional if you’re wanting dairy free)
• Toppings: mango & toasted coconut OR craisins OR raisins
- Combine rice, 3 c. coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and pinch of salt and put into pressure cooker. Put on brown rice setting or high pressure for 22 minutes to fully cook the brown rice. Let the pressure cooker release the steam naturally. That could take up to 20 minutes. (If you’re not using a pressure cooker, cook on the stove top or in a rice cooker with all of the above ingredients until the rice is soft).
- Mix the 1 c. of coconut cream or milk with the 2 eggs in a small bowl. After the rice is done, slowly add the coconut cream & eggs to the rice, stirring constantly so the heat of the rice will cook the egg & make it nice and creamy!!
- Top with whatever you would like- I prefer fresh mango & toasted coconut for a fun healthy twist!! It’s delicioso!!!
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you should think about getting one! They save a lot of time in the kitchen. I love to be able to put food in there, set it, and forget about it. You’ll love it! I recommend the Cuisinart. I have had mine for lots of years and it’s never failed me yet. Click here to purchase.