These Asian Green Beans are the perfect side dish for an Asian meal or potluck gathering where you want to impress! They cook up quickly and the flavors are delicious!
These Asian Green Beans were inspired by Guy Fieri’s dad’s green beans he would make at home. So you know that means they’re sassy and flavorful! Just make sure not to overcook them! When you boil them, just keep it to a minute or two so they don’t get mushy! The will continue to cook as you stir-fry them over high heat so be careful! The worst thing you can do to them is overcook them and make them mushy. Yuck 🙁 I hope you enjoy this simple and yet delicious recipe!Print
Asian Green Beans
These beans are the perfect side dish for an Asian meal or potluck gathering where you want to impress! They cook up quickly and the flavors are delicious!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 people
- Category: Sides
- 2 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 Tbls. Avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. finely sliced yellow onion
- ¼ c. red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbls. Unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbls. Low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 green onion, finely sliced on the bias, for garnish
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
- In a large stockpot over medium high heat, bring water to a boil and season with 1 Tbls. of salt. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Add the green beans to the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 1-2 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge the beans into the ice water. When cool, drain the beans in a colander and lay them out to dry on paper towels.
- In a large sauté pan or stir fry pan, turn on stove to high heat & heat the oil until smoking. Add the green beans, onion and bell pepper, and sauté until the vegetables are charred all over, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the butter, soy sauce and the ½ tsp. salt, and toss to mix and coat the beans evenly. Reduce heat, and cook until the sauce is thick enough to coat and stick to the vegetables, about 1 minute. Transfer to bowl & garnish with green onions & sesame seeds.
- The ice bath is important to keep the beans crisp and crunchy!